« 'Data Mining Can be a Productive Activity' | Main | Links for 8-15-14 »

Thursday, August 14, 2014

'A Clear Connection Between the Rise in Incomes at the Very Top and Lower Real Wages for Everyone Else'

Simon Wren-Lewis:

...In the US the share of the 1% has increased from about 8% at the end of the 70s to nearly 20% today. If that has had no impact on aggregate GDP but is just a pure redistribution, this means that the average incomes of the 99% are 15% lower as a result. The equivalent 1% numbers for the UK are 6% and 13% (although as the graph shows, that 13% looks like a temporary downward blip from something above 15%), implying a 7.5% decline in the average income of the remaining 99%.
So there is a clear connection between the rise in incomes at the very top and lower real wages for everyone else. Arguments that try and suggest that any particular CEO’s pay increase does no one any harm may be appealing to a common pool type of logic, and are just as fallacious as arguments that some tax break does not leave anyone else worse off. It is an indication of the scale of the rise in incomes of the 1% over the last few decades that this has had a significant effect on the incomes of the remaining 99%.   

    Posted by on Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 08:25 AM in Economics, Income Distribution | Permalink  Comments (84)

          


    Comments

    Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.