David Cay Johnston:
9 Things The Rich Don't Want You To Know About Taxes, by David Cay Johnston: ...As millions of Americans prepare to file their annual taxes, they do so in an environment of media-perpetuated tax myths. Here are a few points about taxes and the economy that you may not know...:
- Poor Americans do pay taxes.
- The wealthiest Americans don’t carry the burden.
- In fact, the wealthy are paying less taxes.
- Many of the very richest pay no current income taxes at all.
- And (surprise!) since Reagan, only the wealthy have gained significant income.
- When it comes to corporations, the story is much the same—less taxes.
- Some corporate tax breaks destroy jobs.
- Republicans like taxes too.
- Other countries do it better.
(There is more detail on each point in the article.)